*Our training is hands-on, practical, and tailored to the needs of each individual student*

RSA Course: Provide responsible service of alcohol

SITHFAB021 - Provide responsible service of alcohol

Pre-course online reading, followed by a 4.5 Hrs face-to-face training session


To be Confirmed (TBC)

No prior experience needed

We offer same day certificate


RSA Course

Barista Courses Australia provides you with everything you need for your responsible service of alcohol training in Australia. We offer competitive rates, experienced trainers and a location near you. Upon finishing our RSA course, we will meet national accreditation standards so that you can work serving or supplying alcohol at any licensed premises.

What do I learn in the RSA Course?

  • What is a standard drink
  • Duty of care and how to serve alcohol responsibly and in a professional manner
  • Assist and advise customers on how to drink responsibly
  • Relevant legislation around responsible service of alcohol
  • Basic alcohol principles
  • Conflict resolution skills
  • Signs and stage of intoxication and how to assess erratic drinking patterns and assess alcohol-affected customers
  • Appropriate methods to refuse the service of alcohol

What is RSA training?

RSA is more formally referred to as Responsible Service of Alcohol. It focuses on providing alcohol service and supply to members of the public in a safe and responsible manner. In this RSA course, you will learn about duty of care which is ensuring steps are taken to encourage drinking in a manner that does not endanger or disrespect staff and other customers.

You’ll also learn about the legislation from your relevant state or territory around serving alcohol and how these regulations affect you, as well as how to identify intoxication in patrons and what to do when you feel that it might be necessary to stop serving alcohol.

The government implemented an RSA training standard with the goal of preventing alcohol abuse and excess drinking culture. You must have formal RSA training if you work in any job involving service with alcohol (such as bartenders, waiters, security guards, or airline personnel).

This RSA Course is officially known as SITHFAB021, and it’s nationally recognised. The training can only be provided by a registered Australian RTO and designed on a state-by-state basis – working with the specific alcohol regulations within state legislation. 

Regardless of government regulations around it, the core principle of RSA is duty of care. Managers and staff are responsible for preventing reckless consumption and discouraging drunken behaviour. As part of this training, you will be trained on how to tell if someone has consumed too much, what a Standard Drink means (and why it’s important), and how to refuse alcohol service in a polite and professional manner.

Do I need an RSA to work on licensed premises?

You need to complete RSA training if you’re involved with the provision or sale of alcohol, which may include food and beverage attendants, security staff working at licenced premises, cellar door staff or sales representatives for an alcohol supplier. All those who are partaking in this activity should understand what’s required to provide alcohol responsibly and safely.

Which RSA course should I do?

Currently, there is one standard accredited course accepted nationally which is the SITHFAB021 – Provide responsible service of alcohol. If you see any alcohol service course (particularly a cheap introductory course) that does not carry this code, then it’s not a nationally recognised Responsible Service of Alcohol Certificate Course.

How old do I have to be to do an RSA?

You can complete the RSA course if you are under 18. However each state and territory has its own laws about minimum ages to complete, and minimum ages to work in a licenced premises. So be sure to check the legislation for your relevant state or territory.

Will my RSA expire?

Once obtained, your RSA certificate does not expire.

Can you complete an RSA online?

You can absolutely complete your RSA online through Barista Courses Australia. Note: RSA Online courses are valid in QLD, WA, SA, NT, ACT and TAS, while VIC and NSW only accept certification from face-to-face RSA courses.

Are international students eligible?

Yes! This course is available to all domestic students and international students here on a visa.

How long does an RSA course take?

At Barista Courses Australia, we offer RSA courses tailored to the regulations for your state or territory. The course is a one-off, face-to-face delivery with a 4.5 hour duration. You’ll leave with a statement of attainment and knowing everything you need to serve alcoholic beverages safely and professionally – and on top of that, our prices are very competitive.

Book A Course Today!